Saturday, October 23, 2010

Italy

Train goes fast!
YAY!!  I made it to Italy!       

It was a long train ride from Paris to Milan - 7-1/2 hours but I met Jenny, a very pleasant traveler from London and we talked the entire time making the trip go by quite quickly.  I found out some very useful information about London, the UK and Europe  in general; it was a pleasant journey. 





Milan Square
Milan is beautiful and it was worth the wait.  I arrived at 10:30pm into Milan and did not have the energy to find the correct metro and directions to my hotel, so I decided to take a taxi.  

My life flashed before my eyes, SEVERAL TIMES!  I literally thought, this is what Italy is about!  The traffic in Milan was crazy - Bob, you would have had road rage within seconds!  No designated lanes, no lane changes, several cars lined up chaotically, stopping at the last second, and excessive speeding, all at the same time.  Not what I expected for my first experience in Italy.

Duomo Cathedral - Milan

I made it to my hotel alive, a little frazzled, but generally okay!



Touring around Milan:

Milan is known for its fashion and business community.  After all, it's the fashion capital of the world, so there are a lot of shops to go to; however, to get to them by metro, especially the Outlet stores; was a challenge, therefore I opted out.

I did however, go to the Duomo Cathedral in Milan and it was stunning.  The picture really doesn't do it justice as it's difficult to capture the true beauty.

Inside Duomo Cathedral - Milan

I also visited inside and it seemed strange to me to have a beautiful cathedral be a tourist attraction.  It was very busy and you were allowed to take photos.  I lit a candle, said a little prayer for safe travels and was on my way to Turin......