Saturday, October 23, 2010

Paris

In France, there is a EuroStar train strike not allowing visitors to travel by train to or from France.  I was leaving London to arrive in Paris on Monday morning at 5:25am and I was in luck, my train did not get cancelled.

Eiffel Tower - Paris
I arrived in Paris at 8:30am to a madhouse.  There was people everywhere and all speaking a different language!  Frustrating at times, I took responsibility in the fact that I didn't take it upon myself to learn any French as my ultimate goal is to become bilingual in Italian.



Seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first was breathtaking.  It was a beautiful sunny day and I look many pictures from all angles.  A bit surreal; seeing the tower in pictures is one thing, but standing in front of it was another.  I was planning on going up; however the queue was about a mile long and I didn't have time since I wanted to visit the Museum of Architecture and also had to catch my next train, or so I thought.  
Museum of Architecture - Paris
Eiffel Tower - Paris



















The Museum of Architecture was incredible and very informative.  The sculptures, facades, structures, buildings and monuments were all displayed and carved with such detail, it was hard to believe they were handmade.  I spent about two hours gawking at all the wonder, enjoying every minute of it.

Paris was not finished, as the train from Paris to Milan was canceled that night and was not running until the next day.  With the language barrier and the insufficient customer service representatives, stress was at an all time high.  And then I met May, an angel in disguise.

May was bilingual and not the kind of bilingual that you think; May learned how to speak English by watching Michael Jackson, yes that's right, MJ.  French people that speak English is still a challenge to understand with their accent, but May went a step further and learned with a Canadian/American accent - imagine a full French accent and then a full Canadian accent.  Thanks May, you helped me at a very desperate time of need.

I stayed overnight in Paris and off to Milan on Tuesday....